Thursday, September 25, 2008

Evergreen Boys and Girls State

The organization that sponsors our students so that they can attend
Evergreen Boys and Girls State held a dinner on Monday night
in order to honor our students that went.
The organization is the American Legion Auxiliary.
This is a photo of the two girls, Lina and Brandy,
that represented GKHS with their parents at the dinner.
Also in the picture is Riley.
He is one of the boys that represented GKHS at Boys State.

Proud to Represent! Brandy, Riley and Lina

One of my responsibilities as a counselor is to select and send junior students to represent GKHS at Boys and Girls State. This is an awesome experience for the kids as they come to understand more fully the parliamentary procedures and how the government operates. They also gain a greater appreciation for the men and women who are serving our country at this time. It instills within them a greater sense of patriotism. This past year we sent two boys to Evergreen Boys State and two girls to Evergreen Girls State. On Monday night, we got together with the other students in the area that represented their high schools and the students talked about their experiences. It was so much fun to hear about what they learned and the friendships that they formed. It took me back in time to when I went and represented Olympus High School at Girls State in Utah. Perhaps the funniest thing that was shared during the evening was that the boys passed a bill so that nobody in the state of Washington can ever drive a dragon drunk again. They also passed a bill that made JZ the best rapper of all time! Ha! Go figure...they are teenage boys after all! :)

5 comments:

Ashley said...

What? No driving dragons drunk anymore? What is this country coming to? :) I can't wait to see you this week!

Carrie said...

Hello, Ang!
It's fun to visit your blog and see what you've been up to! I especially love those pictures of your walk and Mt. Rainier. They're beautiful! We really miss Washington and its beauty (even if it was the other side of the state!). I imagine you are such a wonderful mentor and counselor for those students. I hope this will be a great school year for you!
Love, Carrie

Camilla and Tim said...

I did know that you went on your mission to San Bernardino! Who would have thought that I'd move to Rancho Cucamonga!? haha Yes I love the temple here, I love that it is so small and the sessions have so few people in it. I love the beauty of the building inside and out! If you ever come back again let me know! ;) ha ha

Sarady said...

Hey girl, did you see that I tagged you on my blog? I did, I did! Love you.

Sara said...

Thanks so much for looking in on us!! I have not had much of a chance lately to update, but I will soon! I am due 1st part of February and it is a boy. We are really excited! I love the pictures you have posted. It is beautiful where you are! Good luck with everything at school and all you are doing. Sounds like you are busy as usual doing lots of good!! We will have to get together next time you are in town! Love ya!!