Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Our Second Port: Skagway, Alaska

Our second stop was in Skagway, Alaska. I have a former student of mine, Michelle Hicks, who is working in Skagway this summer. I was lucky enough for her to be my personal tour guide. She showed me all of the beautiful sites in Skagway including Reed Falls. She also took me to the deserted town of Dyea. Dyea was originally set up when the gold rush occurred. However, it was too far inland and so the gold rush town was then moved to Skagway. There are only a few things left of Dyea...a store front, a basement of a court house and a pile of wood from a warehouse. Michelle was super cute and studied up on the history of Skagway before I got there so that she could give me a full history of the place. Supposedly, there was a guy who was a big gangster that came to Skagway and reaped havoc. His name was Soapy Smith. A picture of his grave is in the collage. I also saw the largest gold nugget in the world! SWEET!!! :)

No comments: