I have always loved Elder Richard G. Scott and have felt a special connection to him for many years now. I guess it is because I have had the incredible blessing of meeting him so many times.
My first encounter with Elder Scott was at the MTC. He came and spoke to all of the missionaries. My companion and I were walking outside after the devotional and we saw him. He shook our hands and asked where we were heading. Once we told him that we were going Spanish speaking, I guess he felt like he could speak to us in Spanish. So, he said something and then looked at us and asked if we had any idea what he had just said. We said that we didn't. He then said, "May you have much success and may you not be hit by a train." Ha! Not only is he a spiritual giant of a man but he is also very funny!
The next time that I met Elder Scott was at my Grandma's viewing. He is good friends with my uncle, Ben B. Banks, my grandma's brother. He came at the very beginning of the viewing so that he would miss the crowds. I shook his hand there and felt of his love and his genuine interest in our family and in our loss.
The third time that I met Elder Scott was at the Hill Cumorah Pageant. He came to the Pageant and afterwards said that he wanted to meet all of the cast members. So, he came to the Study Shelter and spoke to us. Afterwards, he stood outside the Study Shelter and shook each one of our hands....all 600 + of the cast and crew. I remember looking at him that time and feeling the love of the Lord for me. It was a pretty special experience.
The last time that I met Elder Scott was when he came up to Seattle a few years ago. He came and gave a special fireside for the YSA. This was an awesome experience! I was also blessed to be able to get a few pictures with him and my friends that night. He wanted to visit with us all and he took the time out to do just that. He is such a kind and caring individual and when you are around him you feel like you are on top of the world!
Now, today. I had the amazing opportunity of hearing from Elder Richard G. Scott once more. He came and made a special visit to the Puyallup Stake. Elder Scott talked about many things.
He invited two young women to come up to the pulpit to answer a few questions that he had for them. He asked questions like... Does your family study the gospel in your home? Do you study the scriptures? Why do you study? Is it hard to be modest? Where do you want to be married? In your home, what does your mother do to support your father? After these girls answered his questions and bore their testimonies, Elder Scott testified of the importance of the gospel in the home and the importance of teaching the gospel to the children. In doing so, you are building a foundation for their futures.
He then testified of the importance of scripture study. He shared an experience that he had when he was a young mission president of 37 years. He talked about how he didn't feel like he knew his scriptures as well as he should. He shared how President Spencer W. Kimball, an apostle at the time, came to do a mission president seminar. Elder Scott asked President Kimball if he could borrow his scriptures so that he could mark his own set the same way that President Kimball had marked his. So, Elder Scott spent most of the night trying to mark the scriptures. He only got to the Words of Mormon. A few weeks later, President Kimball sent Elder Scott the remainder of the markings from his scriptures for The Book of Mormon and for the Doctrine and Covenants. This was a treasure to Elder Scott. Elder Scott spoke of the importance of studying the scriptures every day and of marking our scriptures. He talked about how we need to study all of the scriptures and NOT just The Book of Mormon. Through the scriptures, we will come to know Jesus Christ and we will have our lives oriented more towards the things that matter most.
Elder Scott also talked about Justice. He testified to us that everything that we earn in this life through righteous living will be ours in the hereafter because of justice. Our relationships that we have with those who have passed on remain strong because of justice. He talked about how our loved ones are very aware of us and our struggles. When it is appropriate, the veil will be thin enough to feel their presence.
He also talked about President Monson and what an amazing prophet he is and how blessed we are to have him and his counselors leading the church today. He said that President Monson's body has to be large because his heart is so large.
And, of course, Elder Scott testified of our Savior Jesus Christ. The thing that he wanted us to remember the most from his talk and from the meeting was the fact that Jesus Christ lives. He said, "I know that Jesus Christ lives. I know of His love. I know He lives. He is our Savior and Redeemer. He loves you. I know because I know Him personally. I solemnly bare witness that He lives."
After his testimony, we (the choir) sang, "I Know That My Redeemer Lives." It was so powerful to sing this song right after hearing the testimony of an apostle of the Lord. It was such an honor to be in the choir today. I do know that my Redeemer lives. He knows me personally and He loves me. I know He is always there for us and that we can trust in Him. I am grateful for His love and for His sacrifice. I am grateful that I had the incredible blessing to once again be in the presence of Elder Richard G. Scott, an apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Sunday, November 22, 2009
Apostle of the Lord: Elder Richard G. Scott
I have always loved Elder Richard G. Scott and have felt a special connection to him for many years now. I guess it is because I have had the incredible blessing of meeting him so many times.
My first encounter with Elder Scott was at the MTC. He came and spoke to all of the missionaries. My companion and I were walking outside after the devotional and we saw him. He shook our hands and asked where we were heading. Once we told him that we were going Spanish speaking, I guess he felt like he could speak to us in Spanish. So, he said something and then looked at us and asked if we had any idea what he had just said. We said that we didn't. He then said, "May you have much success and may you not be hit by a train." Ha! Not only is he a spiritual giant of a man but he is also very funny!
The next time that I met Elder Scott was at my Grandma's viewing. He is good friends with my uncle, Ben B. Banks, my grandma's brother. He came at the very beginning of the viewing so that he would miss the crowds. I shook his hand there and felt of his love and his genuine interest in our family and in our loss.
The third time that I met Elder Scott was at the Hill Cumorah Pageant. He came to the Pageant and afterwards said that he wanted to meet all of the cast members. So, he came to the Study Shelter and spoke to us. Afterwards, he stood outside the Study Shelter and shook each one of our hands....all 600 + of the cast and crew. I remember looking at him that time and feeling the love of the Lord for me. It was a pretty special experience.
The last time that I met Elder Scott was when he came up to Seattle a few years ago. He came and gave a special fireside for the YSA. This was an awesome experience! I was also blessed to be able to get a few pictures with him and my friends that night. He wanted to visit with us all and he took the time out to do just that. He is such a kind and caring individual and when you are around him you feel like you are on top of the world!
Now, today. I had the amazing opportunity of hearing from Elder Richard G. Scott once more. He came and made a special visit to the Puyallup Stake. Elder Scott talked about many things.
He invited two young women to come up to the pulpit to answer a few questions that he had for them. He asked questions like... Does your family study the gospel in your home? Do you study the scriptures? Why do you study? Is it hard to be modest? Where do you want to be married? In your home, what does your mother do to support your father? After these girls answered his questions and bore their testimonies, Elder Scott testified of the importance of the gospel in the home and the importance of teaching the gospel to the children. In doing so, you are building a foundation for their futures.
He then testified of the importance of scripture study. He shared an experience that he had when he was a young mission president of 37 years. He talked about how he didn't feel like he knew his scriptures as well as he should. He shared how President Spencer W. Kimball, an apostle at the time, came to do a mission president seminar. Elder Scott asked President Kimball if he could borrow his scriptures so that he could mark his own set the same way that President Kimball had marked his. So, Elder Scott spent most of the night trying to mark the scriptures. He only got to the Words of Mormon. A few weeks later, President Kimball sent Elder Scott the remainder of the markings from his scriptures for The Book of Mormon and for the Doctrine and Covenants. This was a treasure to Elder Scott. Elder Scott spoke of the importance of studying the scriptures every day and of marking our scriptures. He talked about how we need to study all of the scriptures and NOT just The Book of Mormon. Through the scriptures, we will come to know Jesus Christ and we will have our lives oriented more towards the things that matter most.
Elder Scott also talked about Justice. He testified to us that everything that we earn in this life through righteous living will be ours in the hereafter because of justice. Our relationships that we have with those who have passed on remain strong because of justice. He talked about how our loved ones are very aware of us and our struggles. When it is appropriate, the veil will be thin enough to feel their presence.
He also talked about President Monson and what an amazing prophet he is and how blessed we are to have him and his counselors leading the church today. He said that President Monson's body has to be large because his heart is so large.
And, of course, Elder Scott testified of our Savior Jesus Christ. The thing that he wanted us to remember the most from his talk and from the meeting was the fact that Jesus Christ lives. He said, "I know that Jesus Christ lives. I know of His love. I know He lives. He is our Savior and Redeemer. He loves you. I know because I know Him personally. I solemnly bare witness that He lives."
After his testimony, we (the choir) sang, "I Know That My Redeemer Lives." It was so powerful to sing this song right after hearing the testimony of an apostle of the Lord. It was such an honor to be in the choir today. I do know that my Redeemer lives. He knows me personally and He loves me. I know He is always there for us and that we can trust in Him. I am grateful for His love and for His sacrifice. I am grateful that I had the incredible blessing to once again be in the presence of Elder Richard G. Scott, an apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
What an incredible experience - I guess I should say experiences! Thank you for sharing his testimony in your blog! I love you!
Ange, what a beautiful account of such a special experience(s). He really is an amazing man and has the ability to pierce the soul with his prophetic words. I, too, feel a special bond to him; I saw met him in the MTC, and then on the mission (he came one month after you left :( Every time, I felt like coming close to the Savior and learning to study the scriptures was his message. I have changed the way I study scriptures because of Elder Scott's talk on the mission. Anyway, just another reason we were meant to be comps, Angela. I'm so happy for you and your experience today. You are a very special, amazing woman and I LOVE YOU!
Elder Scott has always been a favorite of mine. When he speaks in conference it seems that he is looking into your soul.
I got chills reading his testimony. Can you imagine personally knowing the Savior...I long for that!
Thanks for the spiritual lift!!
I, too, love Elder Scott. He is an amazing man that is very blunt and to the point. He doesn't "mince words" as he says. I really appreciated his comments and the reminder that we all received about improved ourselves and those within our care spiritually. Thanks for taking the time to write this out!
I love Elder Scott. I kept one of his talks by my bedside for 6 months and read it every day. His talk got me through some very hard times!
That is so crazy, causes Elder Scott is the one and only Apostle I have ever met and not just once either...my first time was also in the MTC. Your experiences made me have some deja vu. What struck me most was how short he is bacause when you are watching him talk during conferences, he speaks so powerfully and I feel like he is looking right into my soul. Cool Stuff!
Post a Comment