Saturday, October 24, 2009
Life's Lessons Learned...
Just a little heads up...this post is rather long. If you want to skip and go on to the next post, I will not be offended. If you are ok to sit for a moment and read about some of life's lessons that I have learned this month, you are welcome to read on...
October has been a difficult month for me. Yet, somehow through our most difficult times, it seems that we learn the most.
As Elder Richard G. Scott said, "Just when all seems to be going right, challenges often come in multiple doses applied simultaneously. These trials are evidence that the Lord feels you are prepared to grow more (see Proverbs 3:11-12). He therefore gives you experiences that stimulate growth, understanding, and compassion which polish you for your everlasting benefit. To get you from where you are to where He wants you to be requires a lot of stretching, and that generally entails discomfort and pain."
On October 6th, I had laparascopic surgery. Although it has been very difficult for me, I feel that this experience and the recovery experience have taught me and helped me to grow in ways that I couldn't have otherwise. I am grateful!
The First Lesson: Compassionate Service
I learned this lesson from many different people. I was lucky enough to have my sweet mother come and take care of me for that first week. She was amazing. She did my laundry, cleaned my apartment, went grocery shopping for me, served me meals, tucked me in bed, rubbed my back and did oh, so much more. She told me about how when she had her babies that my grandma would come and take care of her and that she would do the same thing. There is no way that I could have survived that first week without her. Thank you, Mom! I love you!
Before the surgery, I received priesthood blessings from my uncle, my brothers and my branch president. I also had many friends and family members come and visit me. I received cards, balloons, flowers, candy, cookies, movies, meals, etc. from many of them. I was in many people's prayers. My name was put on the prayer roll in many temples. In addition, one of the parents of a student of mine told me that I ended up on the prayer list at their church and that is how she had found out I had surgery. My family and friends fasted for me. My cute sister-in-law and her two boys drove all the way up from Portland to come and see me. My aunt went with me to my pre-operation appointment and was there with my mom at the hospital while I was in surgery. I, honestly, am amazed at the outpouring of love and support that I felt from my family and friends both near and far.
In reflecting over all of the compassionate service that was given in my behalf, I am humbled and grateful. As I have mentioned before, Heavenly Father shows His love for me mostly through the people that He has placed in my life. It has been a humbling experience to admit that I have needed help. It has also opened up my eyes to what I can do to serve better and to help those people in need. I was especially humbled by the people that just did without being asked to do anything. I learned that at times like this, the person needing to be helped often times doesn't know exactly what they need. It is important to follow the Spirit and do what we feel is best for them. Thank you all for your love, support and kindness that you have given to me!
The Second Lesson: Patience
With laparoscopic surgery, you are normally fully recovered within the first couple of weeks...or so I have been told. Well, this past Tuesday, I hit my two weeks. I was hoping to somehow be healed completely by that day. Instead on that day I still felt very weak and fatigued. The pain was pretty intense, too. I couldn't understand why I wasn't getting better. Come to find out a few days later that I have an infection. So, of course it is going to take a little longer to get completely better. It has been really hard for me to slow my life down and to not be super involved with everything. My social life has come to a stand still and I have become quite the home body. I have had to remind myself over and over that I cannot run faster than I have strength.
One day this week, I put my status on Facebook as "Patience. How do you develop it? Any ideas are welcomed." There was a comment that really hit me.
The comment was from a friend. She shared with me a quote by Neal A. Maxwell. He said the following: "Patience is tied very closely to faith in our Heavenly Father. Actually, when we are unduly impatient, we are suggesting that we know what is best- better than God does. Or, at least, we are asserting that our timetable is better than His. We can grow in faith only if we are willing to wait patiently for God's purposes and patterns to unfold in our lives, on His timetable."
I have learned that patience is to trust in God and to rely on Him. He knows what is best for me and He will take care of me. I just have to trust that. Sometimes it is really hard to completely put my life in His hands but I know that is what I need to do. Let Go and Let God. As Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin has said, "Come What May and Love It!"
The Third Lesson: God Loves Us and Watches Over Us.
Yesterday, I was reminded that God does hear and answer prayers. I went to work yesterday and did not feel well at all. I was shaky, light headed and felt like I was going to pass out. Plus, I had the pain of the infection on top of it all. Our awesome counseling center clerk, Maria, recognized that I was not doing well. She brought me in some food and told me to just sit down. She hurried and got me the students that I needed to see yesterday and then she sent me home early. On my way home, I said a prayer to Heavenly Father and said that I needed help. I didn't know what I needed or where to get the help. I just knew that I needed help. I decided to stop at the local grocery store before going home. When I pulled into the parking lot, I saw the car of my friend, Rebecca. I wasn't sure if it was her but I told Heavenly Father, "You really are good...especially if Rebecca is here." I walked into the store and walked just a few paces before I saw Rebecca. She asked me how I was doing and I told her that I was not doing well at all. She then asked me what I needed at the store. I told her I had just come to get some milk. She had me stay right where I was and then went and got the milk and brought it to me. She then told me that she was going to be bringing me dinner. I told her that she was an answer to prayer. She called me once she got home from the store to check in on me and asked me if I had called my doctor. I told her that I hadn't but that I would. So, I called Dr. Yamaki. Now, Dr. Yamaki is a specialist and she is very difficult to get into. So, I wasn't thinking that I would be able to get in. But when I called, they told me that there was an opening at 4:30. I called one of my friends, Lindsay, to see if she would take me to the doctor's. She was willing to help me. I had totally forgotten that Lindsay was having all of the girls in her Relief Society over for a sleepover last night. Still, she dropped everything and came and helped me. I kept thanking her and she just kept on saying, "That's what friends are for." Or "That's what friends do." Then, Dr. Yamaki was able to open me up and help some of the infection drain out. She was also able to hook me up with the right antibiotics. When I got home from the doctor's, there was a delicious meal waiting for me that Rebecca had brought over. So, in looking back over everything, Heavenly Father brought some angels into my life yesterday that were direct answers to my prayers. I didn't know what kind of help I needed but He did and He brought it to me. I am so grateful!!! He really does hear and answer prayers and He knows where we are and what we need.
Summary:
God lives, He loves us, He is aware of us, He knows what is best for us, He blesses our lives through other people and it is ok to humble ourselves and to accept their help, and we can and should trust God. We are His children and He loves us more than we can even comprehend. I have felt that love time and time again over the past month. I am so grateful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I wish I was there to come take care of you friend! Don't make me come and tie you to the sofa! Love ya!
I'm so sorry you have had such a rough time Ang! But I'm also so glad there have been wonderful people around to take care of you. Your attitude, as always, is inspiring!
Keep getting better my friend!
I am glad we were able to come up and spend the afternoon with you and Jane. Keep healing. :)
Angela, you are loved by many! Tu Padre te ama un monton!! Love ya.
What did you have surgery on? Are you feeling better yet! I know after I had my knee done it felt SOOO much better after they drained fluid out of it! I will keep you in my prayers! You are amazing!
Angela...I love you so much!!! You just always leave me without words, you have such a strong testimony and we are so blessed to hear it. You are my idol.
Post a Comment