Thursday, October 22, 2009

We Will Never Forget...

The war monuments and the presidential monuments were all very powerful and a deeper sense of gratitude and appreciation filled my heart as I saw each one of them. But, I think that the monument that touched me the deepest was the one at the Pentagon that memorialized those men, women and children that lost their lives on September 11, 2001. (Each of the lighted benches represents a life that was lost.) I tried to figure out why this monument touched me the most and I came up with the reason... it is because it is living history. I remember exactly where I was when I first heard about the terrorist attacks. I was at BYU and had rushed to get to an early class...I thought I was running late and when I got to class nobody was there. Finally, a girl came in and she started talking to me about it. I was shocked! I ran out into the hallway where the TV monitors were on and watched as the news recapped what had happened in NYC. I couldn't believe it. Only three weeks prior my family had vacationed to both New York City and to Washington DC. How could this be happening? I was on top of the World Trade Center only weeks before talking to my brother about how amazing those buildings were. Where were you? Think back and never forget!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

You are quite the globe trotter, girl! How fun for you!!

Brittany said...

I was at my parents house watching my younger siblings because my parents were on an airplane on their way to pick up my brother from his mission. I was so glad that I didn't have the TV on or I would have been freaking out. They were the first flight out of SLC that day and one of the last four planes to land safely on the ground. I can't believe it's been so long. I remember that day so well.